Are you working from home and want to workout but don't have a gym? No worries, all you need is a Pilates bar! The best part about it is that this piece of equipment can do more than just provide workouts.
It also can be used as an anchor point for doing exercises at home such as squats, lunges and many more.
In this blog post, we will share with you 9 best exercises one can do at home with Pilates bars which are not only easy on the joints but also help in building muscles.
Benefits of Using Pilates Bar
Pilates Bar is a very versatile equipment.
Pilates bar exercises are a great way to target the core and work your body in dynamic ways. With bands for added resistance, these lightweight, portable tools will help you better define muscles with ease while doing Pilates exercises that can be done anywhere without worrying about equipment space or weight restrictions.
Here are some of the biggest benefits of Pilates Bar.
- Improve stability, coordination and strength.
- Strengthens the core muscles that will help in developing a flatter stomach and having stronger back support.
- Allows one to work their body from different angles which helps people with injuries build muscle without aggravating them while also reducing pain levels.
- Enhances joint mobility and also a better range of motion.
- Improves balance, flexibility and postural alignment.
9 Best Exercises One Can Do at Home With Pilates Bar
Here are the 9 best exercises that you can do at home.
Pilates Bar Squat
This exercise is a great way to start your workout routine with Pilates bar. It is a great way to start because it helps in building muscles, especially the glutes.
Here's how to do squats with Pilates bar.
- Hold the bar above your shoulders. Make sure that you place your feet wider than hip-width apart.
- Cuff your legs in the foot strap.
- Bend your knees to the squatting position and hold this position for 60 seconds at least.
Do this exercise for 3 sets of 12 repetitions. You will see improved results within a few weeks.
Pilates Bar Lunges
Lunges are great exercises for building strength and conditioning the legs. They also help in developing core muscles, glutes and hamstrings to a greater extent.
Here's how to do lunges with Pilates bar:
- Hold the bar above your shoulders.
- Place your feet wider than hip-width apart.
- Step back into a lunge position so that you feel the stretch on your front thigh muscle.
- Your knee should be aligned over your ankle when doing this exercise.
- Hold this position for 60 seconds at least while holding onto the pole of the Pilates bar or any other support point next to you if necessary.
- Do this workout for three sets of 12 repetitions each side.
You will start seeing results within two weeks!
Pilates Bar Kicks
This is a great exercise for toning your back, glutes, hamstrings and abs.
Here's how to do Pilates Bar kicks
- Like on a plank position but keep the Pilates bar below your arms
- Put your feet in the foot straps
- Extend one leg behind up until it reaches almost 45 degrees from the floor
- Bend your knee slightly so that you feel an engagement in your core muscles as well as in thighs.
- Hold this position for 60 seconds at least then switch legs.
Do three sets of 12 repetitions each side! You will see results within 2-3 weeks!
Steps With Pilates Bar
Steps is a great exercise for strengthening and toning abs. It is very similar to walking the stairs. It's just that you lie on your back in this case.
Here's how to do steps with a Pilates bar.
- Lie flat on your back with feet in the foot straps .
- Hold on to the bar, stretch your arms up with palms facing up
- Then start a walking motion by lifting your leg up one after another.
- Once a leg is at top position, hold on to it for 6o seconds to have the best impact.
Do three sets of 12 repetitions for best results!
Lift the Leg Exercise with Pilates Bar
Lifting the leg helps to tone your abs as it works out around the core muscle in the body.
Here's how you do this exercise:
- Lie on your back with a Pilates bar below arms and feet inside foot straps.
- Keep both legs straight pointing up towards the ceiling.
- Hold the Bar over your head with your arms straight up. Make sure that there is enough tension on the tube
- Lift one leg at a time higher than 45 degrees while keeping toes curled under foot straps.
- Hold on to this position for 60 seconds minimum in each leg then switch sides.
Do three sets of 12 repetitions each side! This workout will show visible result within two weeks so keep doing them regularly!
Bicep curls are a great way to work your biceps, particularly the long head of this muscle.
Here's how to do Bicep curls with Pilates bar:
- Hold on to the bar and place feet in foot straps .
- Keep palms facing down so that it engages the bicep muscles more intensely.
- Bend elbows at 90 degrees while keeping upper arm stationary then curl hands towards shoulder making sure not to move shoulders or hips!
- Keep legs straight as you perform this exercise for best results!
Do three sets of 12 reps each side for best results. You will start seeing changes in just one week!
Overhead press with Pilates bar
This is a great exercise for toning your triceps and shoulders. It also involves part of your chest and your core muscles. So you can say it is a compound exercise.
Here's how to do overhead press with pilates bar:
- Hold on to the bar in front of you at either shoulder height or higher if possible.
- Keep elbows straight as you push up the weight keeping palms towards the top
- Lower your palms back down till they reach a point where the tension in the bands is too low.
Do three sets of 12 reps each for 3 sets every day!
Reverse Plank with Pilates Bar
Reverse Plank is a great exercise for toning your core muscles and legs. You will be working on the abs, hips, lower back and thighs
Here's how to do Reverse Plank with Pilates bar:
- Sit on the floor and hold on to the bar with palms facing down
- Place your feet in foot straps and stretch your legs.
- Lift your body up with the help of your hands, core and feet.
- Hold this position for 60-100 seconds at least then switch legs.
3 minutes of total hold in a day would give you massive results.
Aerial Cycles is a great exercise for working on your abs and legs. It is one of those explosive workouts that burn a lot of your calories quickly.
Here's how to do Aerial Cycles with Pilates bar:
- Hold the Pilates Bar in front of you at chest height or higher if possible.
- Make sure arms are straight out from shoulders. Your palms should be facing up .
- Keep one leg bent behind so that it reaches around 90 degrees at your knee
- Extend other leg back so that both feet off ground (this will work your core muscles more intensely)
- Hold position for a few seconds then switch sides.
Do this exercise for about 3 sets of about 10 minutes each.
What is Your Favourite Pilates Bar Exercise?
Pilates bar is undoubtedly a versatile and effective piece of equipment that can be used to workout on your entire body in a small space.
In this article we have covered 9 different ways you can use the Pilates bar, from toning muscles and burning calories to improving stamina.
We hope these exercises will help give you an idea of how many possibilities there are with such a simple tool!
If you're interested in purchasing one for yourself or as part of your home gym, click the link below and check out our exclusive Pilates bar.
Also, let us know which one of the exercises was your favorite.
Check out The Joyfit Portable Pilates Bar has wide applications in Pilates, Yoga, Resistance Training, and many other fitness training programs. This detachable and compact Pilates fitness bar is easy to carry and provides a whole-body workout at any place.